Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Moroni 10- The Gifts of God are Available to All

I finished the Book of Mormon yesterday! I've read it through many times, but this is the first time I've really seen the last chapter of Moroni as a whole, coherent sermon. I've always been so concerned with feeling that spiritual confirmation of the book's truth that I have thought the spiritual gift section of the chapter is more of a reference section.  Really, the whole chapter is about the gifts that God extends freely to every one of his children.
I always stop at verse three because Moroni uses the word exhort- he really wants us to do something and it catches my attention.
Behold, would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them,that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts.
I think of the pioneers and of many of the people in the Book of Mormon who have seen miracles and feel satisfied I've remembered God's mercy to the children of men. The truth is, I've always felt beyond blessed to live today when we have electricity and soft beds. My washing machine and dishwasher top my gratitude list. I have always felt great pity for the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time I received these things. I ponder at great length how awful it would be to live in the middle of an uncivilized world counting sheep, having no books. cooking my food over a fire, living at the mercy of the elements. I imagine the great fear of starvation and the thirst and sickness billions must have felt throughout their lives. I have dwelt primarily on my blessedness and their utter poverty, hard work, and excruciating sentences to earth life.

This time through, an Ensign article I read made me dig a little deeper into the phrase "remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam."  Lawrence Corbridge spoke at a BYU devotional that was later printed in the February 2015 Ensign. It is titled "The Most Important Things."  He said, "Seek after those things that are monumentally important and equally available to everyone."  I thought to myself, "Do I really believe that God has been merciful to mankind since Adam?" I had to answer that honestly, I just felt really bad for them. If Moroni could exhort us to do anything in his last words, and he chose this, shouldn't it be worth my time? I've been trying to take time to recognize the blessings I have been given. I turn often to tangible events and things. But those things were denied most of humanity until the last 150 years or so. So what could they ever have for which to be grateful?

As I considered that phrase, "things that are monumentally important and equally available to everyone," I came up with a few ideas.
1. The perfect earth- suitable for life and full of unnecessary beauty and lessons
2. The atonement- the ability to repent
3. The ability to choose
4. A body
5. Covenants (eventually)

Some things that are available to most, but not all are:
1. Speech, communication
2. Unity within a group, the sweetness and spice of seeing life from others' perspectives, of feeling love in all it's different forms
3. Family
4. Learning
5. Hard work and it's rewards

Our material blessings can actually cloud our vision and keep us from seeing the fundamental mercy of God. No matter how many comforts we have in life, we need to remember the blessings that are available to all- from the beginning of the world- are the basis of joy.
Elder Corbridge said, to be forgiven of your sins and be endowed with the power of the Holy Ghost. These gifts of the Atonement, along with the gift of eternal life,  are the greatest of all the gifts of God.
He also referenced 2 Nephi 26:33-
testify that Jesus is the Christ and that He invites “all to come unto him and partake of his goodness; and he denieth none that come unto him … ; and all are alike unto God"
After seeing things from a different perspective, I could see why Moroni would exhort us, out of all the things he could have begged us, to remember God's mercy throughout the history of the world. We are fundamentally no different from God's other children. God's mercy does not change. And God's mercy is what makes life important and full and joyful.  That is why Moroni spent so much time talking about the Holy Ghost, that we can know the truth if we ask God, and the gifts of the spirit. So next time you count your blessings, ponder these final words of Moroni, a masterful lesson on what really matters in life.

17And all these gifts come by the Spirit of Christ; and they come unto every man severally, according as he will.
 19 And would exhort you, my beloved brethren, that ye remember that he is the same yesterday, today, and forever, and that all these gifts of which have spoken,which are spiritual, never will be done away, even as long as the world shall stand, only according to the unbelief of the children of men.

And again would exhort you that ye would come unto Christ, and lay hold upon every good giftand touch not the evil gift, nor the unclean thing.
 31 And awakeand arise from the dust, Jerusalem; yea,and put on thy beautiful garments, daughter of Zionand strengthen thy stakes and enlarge thy borders forever, that thou mayest no more be confounded, that the covenants of the    Eternal Father which he hath made unto thee, house of Israel, may be fulfilled.
 32 Yea, come unto Christ, and be perfected in him, and deny yourselves of all   ungodliness; and if ye shall deny yourselves of all ungodliness, and love God with all your might, mind and strength, then is his grace sufficient for you, that by his  grace ye may be perfect in Christ; and if by the grace of God ye are perfect in   Christ, ye can in nowise deny the power of God.

When you count your blessings, do you include God's truest gifts?

1 comment:

  1. Dearest daughter, What a joyous reminder of the blessings of God! and what a blessing you are for me, your Mom and your family.

    ReplyDelete